Twenty | Five

Twenty | Five

Friday, October 1, 2010

*TAKING RISKS*

Wow...I can't believe that it's already Friday. That's another thing that I have noticed as I've gotten older...time goes by WAY too fast! Sometimes I take that for granted and need to remind myself to "live in the moment."

Throughout my "twenties" (so far), I have realized that I'm pretty spontaneous. I like taking risks and believe in taking chances. I have taken a gamble on love, friendships, jobs, etc. But, now that I'm in my mid-twenties, these risks seem to be getting more serious and harder to seize. Unfortunately, no one can predict the future. So, we are all on our when making decisions. We can ask for advice, but in the end, it's all up to the person that it is going to effect the most...you, us. 

Betting on odds in my mid-twenties means I am an adult now. I have been out of college for almost 3 years and there is no way of getting around the fact that I am officially "on my own." Which does give me a sense of self-worth and pride, but it's a little scary at the same time. I have been extremely blessed with an amazing family who have supported, guided and shaped me into the woman I am today. And, I want to prove to them that I can do "it,"whatever that may be, on my own. Because the most rewarding feeling in the world is making my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother and sister proud.
In order to accomplish my goals, it looks like I need to "take the bull by its horn" and do it without someone holding my hand. This entails....TAKING RISKS and learning from my mistakes. 

I read this amazing article from Livestrong.com ( http://www.livestrong.com/article/14727-becoming-a-risk-taker/ )
Risk taking is...
"Opening yourself to change. It is the accepting of the need for change and it is taking the behavioral steps that will result in change."

"Pursuing the required actions despite the fear that it will affect others negatively, resulting in their efforts to make you feel guilty about taking such action."

"Hoping your circumstances will improve as a result of your personal sacrifice, but making it anyway."

"The ability to ignore your need for other's approval in order to take the most appropriate action for you."

"The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing and is nothing." 

As I sit here and reflect on how I arrived here, at this moment in time, a lot of the steps I took were steps of uncertainty. Every decision I have made have all been made by taking risks. Subconsciously and consciously. So...that should make all of my future decisions easier, right?! Absolutely not! But, it does give me hope that no matter what, everything happens for a reason! We can't be afraid of failure, if so, we'll never get anywhere. With that, I leave you with this... (those of you that know me well, know how much I idolize this icon :). xo C

Michael Jordan "Failure" Nike Commercial



I have a large bucket list... meeting Michael Jordan was close to the top: I will never forget this day. Check.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Michael Jordon video. Remember that "Failure Leads to Success." A Quantum Learning facilitator would teach his students that it is okay to try and fail, and try and fail again, but it is not okay to fail to try. Pretty profound if you ask me.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete